2022 Water Quality Report

Water Department fixing a main

The Water Department is responsible for providing a safe and dependable water supply to all citizens of the Town of Plymouth to protect and enhance the health and economic stability of our community. The Department is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Town’s water treatment plan, six production wells, two elevated storage tanks and one ground storage tank. Every effort is made to ensure that the Town’s water supply meets or exceeds all State and Federal water quality standards. The Water Department is also responsible for repair and maintenance of all the Town’s water meters and fire hydrant assemblies.

Water Quality Report

Click HERE to view the Town's Annual Drinking Water Quality Report.

Understanding Your Utility Bill

The first step in changing the way you use water in the future is by understanding how much water you use today. The average usage of water is approximately 30 gallons per day per person in the household.

For more information, view our Understanding Your Utility Bill document.

How to Report a Water Leak

Broken/Leaking Water Meter

If water is leaking from your water meter or if the meter is broken or the box is damaged, please contact Town Hall at (252) 793-9101 and they will arrange for one of the Water Maintenance crews to check and correct the problem.

Broken Water Main

If water is observed running from the ground or a paved surface within the Town please call and report the location to Town Hall at (252) 793-9101 or after 5 p.m. or on weekends call (252) 793-2422.

Customer Water Lines

The Water Department maintains all water mains and services in the street rights-of-way up to the water meter. If pipes are broken on the customer’s side of the water meter, the pipe must be repaired by the property owner, or a plumber hired by the property owner. If there is an emergency requiring water to be cut off to stop damage, or if the water must be cut off to make a repair, please call Town Hall (at the numbers above) so that one of the Water Maintenance crews can be dispatched to turn off the water.

After Hour Emergency Assistance

For assistance with any of the issues mentioned, please contact the Washington County Sheriff’s Office at (252) 793-2422.

Payment Options

Payment By Mail

If paying by check or money order through the mail, please send all payments with your payment coupon. To avoid late fees, please mail your payment at least five to seven business days before the due date specified on your bill.

Automatic Bank Draft

The worry-free way to pay your bill. With this service, the amount of your monthly bill is automatically deducted from your bank account and credited to your utility account. There is no set-up fee or charge associated with this method of payment. To set up Automated Bank Draft, simply download and fill out the ACH Recurring Debit Form (if available) located below and drop it off or mail it to our office, along with a voided check.

Payment Drop-off Location

You may pay your bill in person at our office address. We accept cash, check, or money orders. To avoid longer wait times, please note that Mondays, Fridays and the first day after a holiday are normally very busy.

Payment Through Financial Institution Online Bill Pay

Many financial institutions such as major banks offer their customers the ability to pay their bills via an online bill payment service (through your bank's website). Normally, these services debit the customer's checking or savings account to pay the bill. Depending on the financial institution, they may or may not charge a fee for the service. Payments may take up to seven business days to post to the customer's account. Please consult with your bank for more information.

Payment Assistance

Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program that will help eligible households and families afford water and wastewater services. The program provides a one-time payment for eligible low-income households directly to the water department. The program will continue until September 2023 or until the funds run out.

Households that currently receive Food and Nutrition Services (FNS), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Work First services or those that received Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) services between October 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021, are automatically eligible if their water services have been cut off or are in danger of being cut off.

All other households that have had their water services or are in danger of losing it can apply online. Individuals can also apply by printing a paper application and drop it off, fax, or call the Department of Social Services to apply by phone.

Beginning January 1, 2022, all households that are not in danger of having their water service cut off can apply for assistance if they meet the requirements. To be eligible:

  • A household must have at least one U.S. citizen or non-citizen
  • Have income equal to or less that 150% of the federal poverty level
  • Have household services that are disconnected, in jeopardy of disconnection or have a current outstanding bill
  • Be responsible for the water bill

For more information, visit NCDHHS's Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP).

Reporting Problems About Water Bill

If you believe that there is an error on your utility bill, please contact Town Hall at (252) 793-9101 or use the “Contact Us” form. The Public Works Department does not manage this administrative function.